Thursday, September 25, 2008

iPod Memmmmmories...

I'm committed to my iPod.  iPods.  I rushed to get one when they were first released in Australia.  Then in 2006 I upgraded to one with a larger memory - 60GB.  And a month ago I did it again, swapping that one for a glorious new 160GB iPod (before Apple discontinued them and cut back to iPods with no more than 120GB).
So I'm up to number 3, but before I passed my 2nd one on (to a deserving ebayer), I had to pause and take a little look into it's past.  Such as noting that the first song I'd uploaded onto it was Jack Johnson's Staple It Together, loaded up back on 8 April 2006.
And then there were the most listened to tracks.
For my 1st iPod, I think the most listened to song was Madonna's Hung Up (catchy track that one).
Now, here's what got played most on iPod number 2, no matter how embarrassing.  It's a pretty gay list, in both senses of the word.  I obviously like to get a bit of an aural sugar rush when listening to music on the way to work.
I was pleased to see a number of Australian & NZ artists made it on there (Crowded House, Cut Copy, The Whitlams, Maria Dallas, The Sleepy Jackson, some woman named Kylie), which is very patriotic of me.
A couple of artists got multiple songs on this list, which says something about my general fondness for them - Amy Winehouse, Nina Simone, Belle & Sebastian, and Scissor Sisters.
I'm only embarrassed by one track here, and I defend that song by saying the video clip featured Christina Applegate at a roller disco, which is enough justification for almost anything:
22 plays:  George Michael - An Easier Affair
18 plays:  Welcome to the 60's, from Hairspray
16 plays:  Keane - Crystal Ball
15 plays:  Gloria Gaynor - If You Want It Do It Yourself;  & Pet Shop Boys - Minimal
14 plays:  Amy Winehouse - Back To Black;  & Robbie Williams - Lovelight
13 plays:  Coco Freeman w. U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For;  Jessica Simpson - A Public Affair (it had Christina Applegate at a roller disco, so shut up);  The Killers - Bones;  Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancin'
12 plays:  Nina Simone - O-O-Oh Child (Nickodemus Remix)
11 plays:  ABBA - If It Wasn't For The Night;  Basement Jaxx - Hush Boy;  Crowded House - Even A Child;  Cut Copy - Hears On Fire;  Duffy - Stepping Stone;  Jamiroquai - Runaway;  Sugababes - Red Dress
10 plays:  Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own;  Belle & Sebastian - The Blues Are Still Blue;  Honey Cone - One Monkey Don't Stop No Show;  Maria Dallas - Ambush;  Razorlight - America;  Scissor Sisters - Paul McCartney;  Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - How Long Do I Have To Wait For You?
9 plays:  Amy Winehouse - Love is a Losing Game;  Bananarama - Look On The Floor/Hypnotic Tango;  Belle & Sebastian - We Are The Sleepyheads;  Belle & Sebastian - To Be Myself Completely;  Beyonce - Irreplaceable;  Diana Ross & The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love (Readymade Re-Edit);  Electronic - Getting Away With It;  Kylie Minogue - In My Arms; Madonna - Dance 2night;  Matthew Sweet - Sick Of Myself;  Nina Simone - Ain't Got No/I Got Life (Groovefinder Remix);  Robyn - Be Mine!;  Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancin' (Linus Loves Vocal Edit);  Scissor Sisters - The Other Side;  The Sleepy Jackson - God Lead Your Soul;  The Whitlams - Keep The Light On

No comments: